Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. --Mark Twain



Monday, December 12, 2011

Lord it's like a...card candy Christmas. Or is it?

I heard an ed op piece one year about sending Christmas cards. The writer claimed that sending out cards with photos of kids or pets or of that time the family went to the beach diminishes  the real reason for sending out a Christmas card in the first place. Interesting. The piece obviously affected me because I think of it every year during the holidays.

I personally love getting photo cards from friends and family each year at Christmas. We get so little meaningful mail through the post these days that holiday cards are something I look forward to. And although I appreciate and love every card we get, I have to admit that the photo cards are my favorites. I have some very creative friends, and I enjoy seeing what they'll come up with each year - and I also keep them (they're too pretty to throw away!) I just don't believe it diminishes the meaning of Christmas - it's simply a holiday greeting for the people you love. Here's a few of the cards we've sent over the years...





Now I know that some people find holiday cards a little "icky" as a general rule. Some may view them as a "look at me and how happy I want everyone to think I am" tool, while others think they're just too cheesy to stomach. To each his own. Judging from the images I've just shown you, you can probably guess which way I lean....I'm pro- photo card.

I spend a good amount of time picking out my Christmas card design each year. I've done one every year since we've been married, so it's almost like a little timeline...a holiday timeline! I almost didn't send them out one year just because things were so busy, but  in the end I just couldn't bear it. I decided to send them out at the last minute, so there wouldn't be a year without a card. Call it a compulsion. There have been some years that I've taken a photo especially for the card; other years I've simply used photos that were taken in that particular year. Sometimes I do more than one version. Since we got our dog (aka child) three years ago, she's been part of the card pretty much every year with the exception of last year (and I did get complaints about leaving her out!). I have not yet attempted to hand craft cards just yet, but it is something I plan to do one day.

To avoid offending the holiday with one's photo-infested folly or a photaux pas if you will, the writer of the piece I mentioned suggests inserting a photo inside a Christmas card. I have to say I don't agree with this. It's fine to do of course, but if you're like me, you like to display all the cards you get that year as decor during Christmas - loose photos can make that a little difficult.

Like so!
















So as I label and stuff this year's cards, I'm interested to know what you think. Do you believe that photo Christmas cards weaken the meaning of Christmas? What are your general thoughts on sending and receiving them in general? Do you yourself send out cards for the holidays? If you get a card from me every year, do you wish we would take you off the list? :) haha, I hope not, but here's your chance to let me know! No matter what our particular thoughts are on cards, we must not forget (myself included) that our Holy Savior born in a manger is the most important reason for the season.

Sending you and yours Season's Greetings! (sent either with a card or not - your choice!)




For God so loved the world, That He gave His only begotten Son, That whosoever believeth in Him Should not perish but have everlasting life. ~John 3:16



3 comments:

  1. told you I'm addicted to your blog! :) I'm a blog stalker now :). I love photo Christmas cards--FYI! To me, they seem like they were thought out a little more than non-photo cards...and that means a little something. but maybe that's just me :)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also *love* photo cards. Especially now that I've moved away from my family and friends. Plus, with electronic photos so common on Facebook, Shutterfly, etc., I never get hard copies of photos at other times of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could get a good pic of Neal and I, but I always seem to be behind the camera :( But I loved loved loved yours! :). Judy H

    ReplyDelete